The Faculty of Language Studies is a rapidly developing structure that provides an advanced undergraduate education in both English language studies and English language and translation. The faculty has recently received the MOHE approval for its MA TESOL and plans to increase the pool of postgraduate offerings. Our programmes have been fine-tuned and internationally reviewed to meet the shifting needs of the local and regional markets. Our curricula cover a broad range of topics and skills that equip our graduates with the necessary skills, competencies and attributes to sharpen their competitive edge for an increasingly competitive job market and a strong engagement with the profession and the community at large.
Career opportunities for Language Studies graduates
English (and more generally foreign languages) is necessary in most sectors due to the proliferation of multinational businesses and internet-based companies. Below is a list of career opportunities for English language studies and translation graduates.
- English as a Second/Foreign (EL/FS) Teachers at public and private schools in the Sultanate (upon the completion of a Teacher Preparation program)
- Training and Development EFL/ESL instructors for companies (upon the completion of a Teacher Preparation program/CELTA)
- Teaching Assistants at tertiary levels/higher education (upon the completion of CELTA).
- Translation, and Interpretation (both freelancers and contracted)
- ELS/EFL research assistants at foreign Universities while completing their Masters/PhD.
- Administrative roles in all the sectors including banking, media, aviation, health, industries, marketing etc.
- Entrepreneurs (own business).
- Foreign Language Customer Service Representatives (Ministries, Embassies, Hospitals, Hotels, Airlines … etc).